I recently started using sublime text as my primary editor, and I love it, the only issue was, the language I write in at work, Coldfusion, didn’t have support for code completion in camelCase. So I went ahead and made a camelCase tag library for it, you can find it on my github account.
So my site bootstrapicons.com has been up for a little while, and like all things, there have been some things that I have noticed that could be improved. I also have received some great feedback (Thank you!) that I wanted to incorporate into the system. So, I have been working really hard on it lately (okay so maybe “really hard” is relative, but I spent a few night drinking red wine and tinkering with it) and have a new release. Feel free to head over to http://bootstrapicons.com and check out the changes.
Here is a little list of the new features:
- Added support for bootstrap 3.0.2 icons
- Added support for font awesome 4.0.3 icons
- Updated the search to use tabs that allow all sets to be search without reentering the search terms
- Added a tag index page
- Smoothed out some of the design
- Did some housekeeping on the tag approval/admin side
I really love the bootstrap front-end framework, and one of my favorite things about it is that it comes with a great icon set. The biggest issue I have with it is that the class names to call those icons are not always either easy to remember or accurate for how I use them. For example, I like to use the icon-envelope as an icon on any systems that has a messaging system. Every time I have gone do use it however, I struggle to remember what the name of the @%#$ icon class is!! It got to the point that I just kept a paper printout at my desk. That seemed like a bad way to do it, so I created a website that allows you so search the icons based on “tags” that are submitted by users. That way, I will be able to find my message icon, and hopefully, some other people will be able to as well. You can find the site at http://bootstrapicons.com – the more people that use it and submit tags, the better it will function, so please take a look and let me know what you think!
As I mentioned earlier, I recently helped my friend Jake set up a website for his comics. I decided to use WordPress, and it is working really great. I thought some other people might be trying to do something similar, and wanted to share what worked and hasn’t worked so far for me.
I chose WordPress because I wanted something that would be simple to post, could handle images well, had a good editor and would be easy to customize. At the end of the day, wordpress was the best choice because I could get a very customizable site in a fraction of the time it would take me to write it by hand, especially when you start looking at more advanced features.
Image Handling (One click resizing)
Design Options (Easy to change with themes)
Built in RSS
Lots of Plugs Ins, especially for Social Media
Ease of use
Now on to the good stuff:
Plug-ins are probably the best thing about WordPress, here are the ones that I found particularly useful:
Hands down a must for any blog, does a great job of filtering spam easily
All in One SEO Pack
Again, a standard install for any wordpress site I set up, decent SEO out of the box and makes customizing per post very easy.
FeedBurner Feedsmith Extend
A nice plug-in for redirecting your various default feeds to your feedburner feed.
I like this over other plug-ins because it gives you a little preview in the wordpress admin of your recent stats.
With all of the images that a webcomic is going to be serving up, any help you can get performance wise is great. This plu g in also makes flusing the cache really simple, which is great for when you are developing with it.
RSS Image Feed
By default, WordPress doesn’t include images in your RSS feed, a bit of an issue for a webcomic. This fixes it, although if the entire post is just an image, it can be a bit flaky.
Share and Follow
Give you a ton of options for adding share this buttons and badges. Mix and match to your hearts desire, I settled on Facebook and Twitter at the bottom of every post, but you could add a lot more.
Simple Facebook Connect
Again, lots of options, I used it to auto post to the webcomic’s Facebook page using the publisher option.
Auto posting to twitter, integrates nicely with bit.ly as well.
The gold standard here is Google analytics, really simple to set up and a ton of useful information.
Feedburner is great because you can track subscribers and also add neat features to your rss feed, like social media and contact links.
This is really up to the artist, but I really like the creative commons license. After all, you are putting it on the web so people can enjoy it right?
If the comic is going to be a daily or even if it is only weekly, scheduling comics in advance is the way to go. It can take a little work to make sure everything (Facebook, Twitter, RSS) is playing nicely, but it take a huge amount of pressure off of you to have the week done ahead of time, in case something comes up.
That’s it for now, I’ll try and come back to update this as http://www.jakerohdy.com matures and changes. So long for now!
As part of my new year’s resolutions, I wanted to create at least one new website. Last night I launched Jake Rohdy’s Comics. While technically I have created a few sites this year, this is definitely the biggest, and I have enjoyed working on it. It’s nice working with a “creative type” (he hates being called an “artist”, even though that is totally what he is…) because then they can come up with all of the images instead of me struggling with them. I also was able to learn a lot about WordPress, and I will probably share some of what I found that worked / didn’t work in a later post.
Anyways, I just wanted to announce the site, you should check it out….http://www.jakerohdy.com