So my site bootstrapicons.com has been up for a little while, and like all things, there have been some things that I have noticed that could be improved. I also have received some great feedback (Thank you!) that I wanted to incorporate into the system. So, I have been working really hard on it lately (okay so maybe “really hard” is relative, but I spent a few night drinking red wine and tinkering with it) and have a new release. Feel free to head over to http://bootstrapicons.com and check out the changes.
Here is a little list of the new features:
Added support for bootstrap 3.0.2 icons
Added support for font awesome 4.0.3 icons
Updated the search to use tabs that allow all sets to be search without reentering the search terms
So this month I decided, somewhat randomly, to try a monthly challenge again. I’m not sure what brought it about, but I decided to try getting up at 6:00 every morning. Now, this may not seem like it is that challenging, but to a night owl like me, it was a serious shift in habit. I usually would roll out of bed around 7 and then get ready during the week, but the weekends were fair game for a 9:00 am wake up call. So this month, I will try and get up at 6:00 every morning.
Well this has been a busy month, and a few times, I cursed myself for deciding to do this whole challenge thing this month. Overall though, after the first few days it wasn’t so bad. There were a few mornings I didn’t quite make it; usually on the weekend if I was out late, but other than that it went pretty smooth. Will I keep doing it? Maybe, I just bought a house so I have been busy and getting up that early has helped me still get to the gym, but we will see how long that lasts!
I really love the bootstrap front-end framework, and one of my favorite things about it is that it comes with a great icon set. The biggest issue I have with it is that the class names to call those icons are not always either easy to remember or accurate for how I use them. For example, I like to use the icon-envelope as an icon on any systems that has a messaging system. Every time I have gone do use it however, I struggle to remember what the name of the @%#$ icon class is!! It got to the point that I just kept a paper printout at my desk. That seemed like a bad way to do it, so I created a website that allows you so search the icons based on “tags” that are submitted by users. That way, I will be able to find my message icon, and hopefully, some other people will be able to as well. You can find the site at http://bootstrapicons.com – the more people that use it and submit tags, the better it will function, so please take a look and let me know what you think!
This month I am going to continue on with the theme from last months challenge and get back into blogging. Teageek.org has been pretty stagnant the past year or so, and outside of my challenge updates this site hasn’t seen too much action either. Now, if you are thinking that blogging twice a week is a bit of a weak challenge; you would be correct. I am heading to New York and heading down to South Caroline for the convergeSE conference. Based on past experience, anything that is going to take a lot of effort is probably not going to happen if I am traveling that much, so blogging more seemed like great “attainable” challenge .
Update: Well, you can see how that went! Oh well, better luck next time.
For March I am going to try to redesign both www.brentswisher.com and www.thewebcounts.com, as well as update my profile on all of my social media accounts. Just one of those things that has needed to been done for a while that I keep putting off, so I thought I would make a challenge out of it. I also thing that one of the reasons I haven’t been posting as much as I used to is that the site has become a little dated and I just don’t care to look at it as much. Hopefully a redesign will get back on the blogging bandwagon a little more frequently.
Well it took a late night on the 31st and a few fixes after the fact, but I updated both brentswisher.com and www.thewebcounts.com this month. I also went through and updated my linkedIn/twitter/facebook info. The new redesign of this site is the first completely from scratch design I have created as a WordPress template. It was an interesting experience, definitely a different environment. It was also a good php refresher, it had been a longer time than I had realized since I had done any actual coding outside of work.